6:00 am arrival in Taoyuan International Airport. Didn’t sleep much on the plane. Food was a bit bland, but the flight was quick. I think I’m getting used to these long flights, when 9 hours doesn’t phase you.
I was trying to investigate a failed disk from a RAID array using a USB hard drive dock and Windows 7. The problem was Windows was reporting that the disk was read-only, so it wouldn’t repartition the hard disk.
I opened up diskpart tool in windows (Run As Administrator) and tried to run the clean command, but again it complained that the hard drive was in read-only mode.
Finally, I found the way to remove the read-only flag, so I could wipe the drive, and scan it for bad sectors.
DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk 2
DISKPART> list part
DISKPART> select part 2
DISKPART> attrib part clear readonly
We’re up and running on our new host. It’s good to be on a host that doesn’t block your remote shell access and has cheaper dot-com domain names! Thanks!
- Cereal, there should only be two major kinds of cereal. They should be very expensive, and small boxes should cost nearly as much as big ones. The most expensive ones should have the most raisins, honey, and those little sweet cluster thingies
- I don’t know the first thing about cars. I don’t know a ‘chassis’ from an ‘engine’, or a steering wheel, from a rear-view mirror. That’s why, I prefer someone I don’t know, deciding what’s right for me. I guess I could go and ask a knowledgeable person I know some tips and pointers to buying a car, by why bother? Can’t I just as well trust a faceless corporation do decide honestly for me? Afterall, cars are what they know best. Shouldn’t they be able to select what’s best for me?
- There should, at most, be 4 kinds of cars. But a variety of colours is important. You aren’t able to open the hood without written authorisation from the manufacturer, which means you can’t mod it yourself (unless you’re a pirate, then you just shake yer hook and be done with ‘em)
- Don’t even get me started on vocabulary. The less words to describe the same thing the better. I don’t want to have to “think” about which word to use. Using a thesaurus makes my eyes tiried. Why can’t I just be free and select the same word, time, after time, after time, if I so choose? In this way, I can’t be criticised for a limited vocabulary.
- Shoes should come in only 3 flavours, and only from a single manufacturer. I don’t know the first thing about good shoes, i want the manufacturers to tell them the “truth”: “These are the shoes you need. They are the best shoes EVER. Even better than the other ones, which we also said were the BEST ever. They are still good, though, but these are ENHANCED, and they’re new, and we aren’t supporting your old ones, come 9 years.”
- I don’t want to make decisions when I go shopping. Why are there so many damn supermarkets?
- Do we really need so many chocolate bar types? I don’t want to choose. Can someone choose for me?
- Just the other day, I had to stand there in front of the cooler at the store deciding which beverage flavour I wanted! Damn you! I only want to select FROM ONLY TWO beverages! And I don’t want to pick which TWO those might be
- I’m sick of choosing which burger I want, and sick of choosing from which restaurant I want to buy it from.
- I don’t like selecting from 5,000,000 ice cream flavours. KISS. Chocolate, Vanilla, and strawberry
Do you use a hosting provider that has a different timezone than you do? You can change the appearance of the timezone easily, without root access, or playing around with dates and times.
You can use the tzselect command. It will ask you for your Continent, your State/Province, and will output the command you need to modify your timezone.
I live in Brisbane, Australia, so my timezone is Australia/Brisbane. All I needed to do what append one line to my .bash_profile
echo “export TZ=Australia/Brisbane” >> .bash_profile
Now date returns the correct date and time, and all my files have local timestamps.
Do not sign up with greenhostit.com. If you require SSH access, don’t use them. If you follow instructions that their support recommends, you’ll get blocked from SSH access as a result.
About Brand Management, Stephanie writes:
There simply is no better salesperson for your business than a satisfied customer. Stay involved. Monitor projects and keep them on schedule. Do not be late or miss project milestones. This is like instant death. Lose money. That’s right. Even if you lose money on a client or customer, that one individual can bad mouth you globally today. Check out Angieslist.com if you don’t believe it. You may lose some cash up front but, again, a happy client is your best salesperson – and they’re FREE. Sweet.
Thanks to vmsarefreeright we can now setup Public Key Authentication and Use SSH to connect from ESXi to another (Linux) computer system using openSSHD (SSH Daemon).
The largest file size on a DVD is 4294967295 bytes. You can use this with GNU split, for example:
split --bytes 4294967295 file file_suffix_
If you have every experienced the difficulty in not being able to read your log files, either because the hard drives have crashed, or the OS cannot be started, or your machine has been compromised, you may benefit from logging to a remote server. Continue reading
Manipulating partition tables on MS-DOS labelled hard disk (the most common type as of this writing) is an extemely important skill to have as a System Administrator. If one or more partitions gets deleted or modified in an unintentional way, it is imperative that one know how to restore or modify the partitions to rectify the problem.